Monday, September 26, 2011

Discussions of grief can arise unexpectedly


Yesterday we took our children to see The Lion King in 3D at our local theatre.  They were excited and so was I, because I loved that move when it first came out and I was eager to watch it again with fresh eyes, and to see my kids enjoy it for the very first time.  We all had a great time and rode home in the car talking about our favorite parts and our favorite characters, it was a really great family outing.

Later in the day though I was standing at the kitchen counter and Avery came up to me, a little more subdued, and asked some more serious questions.

"What happened to Mufasa, Simba's dad?"

He fell I told her, and died.

"Ya, and went to heaven too, and then talked to Simba in the clouds, and lived in Simba forever"

That's right I told her, nice observation.  One of the lines of the movie, was "he lives in you," when explaining to Simba that his father will never truly leave him, because his strength and courgage and love live on in him. 

Avery continued, "Everett lives in me, because I remember him too, but he's not in the clouds".

Silence.

You're right, I told her, he lives in all of us, because we are all so full of love for him.  I went on to point out that perhaps we might see him in the clouds, or the sky, we've never really looked.  Satisfied, she went on her way, but she left me standing there amazed at how often she ponders Heaven, and Everett, and God, and the logistics of it all.  She gives in genuine thought, she mulls it over and asks such insightful questions, she really does want to figure it all out.

Since she clearly thinks about what happens to us after we die, and she clearly wonders about the capabilities we have once in Heaven, to interact with our loved ones on earth, I may need to share this quote with her, it may just "click" with her bright little mind.

“Perhaps they are not stars, but rather openings in heaven where the love of our lost ones pours through and shines down upon us to let us know they are happy.”

 

Katie

 

No comments:

Post a Comment